grand canyon: arizona, usa
- The canyon is 277 miles (446 km) long
- The width ranges from 4 to 18 miles (6.4 to 29 km)
- The depth is over one mile (1.83 km)
- Majority is housed within Grand Canyon National Park
Many spectacular views of the Grand Canyon can be experienced from the many vistas that are presented throughout the park, particularly along the South Rim. However, probably the most spectacular view of the canyon occurs from the Toroweap Overlook. The only challenge is that this view is only accessible by three different dirt paths:
St. George, Utah (97 miles)
Colorado City (62 miles)
Pipe Spring National Monument (64 miles)
An easier alternative to a still breath taking view can be experienced through Lipan Point on the South Rim. This view exposes visitors to a variety of rock strata and delivers an amazing view of the Unkar Creek area. A helicopter tour is the best way to truly appreciate the vastness of the canyon. Getting up and the air and having a bird’s eye view of the canyon allows you to view the canyon in its entirety. You can fly over in a plane, however a helicopter is a slower and more intimate encounter with the canyon.
Another common and worthy experience is exploring the canyon on the back of a mule. This provides a unique experience of the canyon while allowing the mule to carry the load. The floor of the canyon can also be explored by taking a white water rafting trip. There are a variety of trips offered depending on the type of experience someone is seeking and their rafting skill level.
With that said, the best time to explore the Grand Canyon is during the summer months which provide visitors with greater access to a variety of opportunities that the Grand Canyon provides to explorers. If you really want to explore the Grand Canyon, don’t plan a day trip. One could easily consume a week discovering and exploring the canyon.
- South Rim Rainfall 16 inches (35 cm)
- North Rim Rainfall 27 inches (59cm)
- Snowfall 60 inches ( 132 cm) 144 inches (317 cm)
- Inner gorge temperatures during the summer months are easily in the area of 100 F (37.8 C) and falling below 0 F (-17.8 C) during the winter months.